Thursday 9 January 2014

Nobody Expects This Post

Inside the Sagrada Familia, Barcelona (Personal Photo)
What did you do during winter break, Laura?
Have you visited Spain? It's a beautiful place.
Laura, how's Europe? Are you enjoying it?

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

The city I visited in Spain was Barcelona, Barcelona and Madrid... Madrid and Barcelona. The two cities I visited were Barcelona, Madrid... and Toledo. The three cities I visited were Barcelona, and Madrid, and Toledo and Sevilla. The four ... no... Amongst the cities... Amongst the cities I visited... are such cities as Barcelona... Let me try this post again.

Get on with it!

Barcelona:
A friend asked me, “So, does the rain in Spain fall mainly in the plains?”
The answer is: “No. The rain in Spain falls mainly in Barcelaine.”

Arc de Triomphe, Barcelona (Personal Photo)
But even though it rained during my stay in Barcelona, I did not enjoy the city’s charm any less. I did another free tour, which was nice, since the historic centre of Barcelona is akin to a maze. The way our guide described Catalonia and its own language (Catalan) and desire for independence reminded me of Quebec’s efforts to separate from the rest of Canada. On my own time I visited the Arc de Triomphe (in brick) and the Sagrada Familia cathedral, which is as of yet unfinished. The outside resembled melted stone, as though it were not rock, but wax. In the pouring rain I ate some delicious, hot-from-the-deep-fryer churros, which burnt my tongue but warmed my insides. Mmm!

My hostel was not only inexpensive, but nice (and came with free breakfast). Oh, what a pleasure it is to stay at a nice one! My room even had a curtain that I could use to block off my own space, and breakfast was more than just cereal and bread. (The first time a hostel came with breakfast was during my weekend getaway to Bologna. Needless to say, it hadn’t impressed me.) I grabbed tapas with two of my roommates, Kim and Jimin, and then we grabbed probably the least Spanish thing there is—bubble tea.

Ok, Laura, you’re probably saying. That’s all fine and dandy. Where’s the action?

Patience you must have, my young Padawan.

Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família,
Barcelona (Personal Photo)
For Eurail users, Spain is a pain—as far as I know, you can’t make your reservations online; rather, you need to do it in person, or perhaps over the phone, too. At this point, I had no trains booked at all, unnerving for someone who likes to plan out everything! The train I wanted left at 9am (there was another at 10am, but sooner = better). I caught the metro at 8:25 and arrived at 8:45... and all the ticket booths were closed. The place was a ghost town. At this point, I had exactly ten minutes before the train left. So I ran to customer service.

Figures I’d experience a train strike. What else is new?

The customer service agent rushed us a group of us through security (scanning your bag in a conveyor belt) and onto the train, where we would pay for our reservations (Eurail) or buy a ticket. They even held the train for us and didn’t leave until we’d gotten on! This is why you always rush, people—it often makes the difference! (Spoiler alert: I didn’t have to pay the reservation fee—the individual who was supposed to do that never came around.)


Alfonso XII Monument, Parque del Retiro,
Madrid (Personal Photo)
Madrid:
Madrid didn’t have the same “old” feel as Barcelona, but I did have a ball taking photos of its architecture. I did my own self-guided walking tour in two 2.5-hour strolls, doing first the east and then the west ends of the city. I also bought a gorgeous scarf at one of the Christmas markets. In Madrid, I booked the rest of my train tickets, the only hiccough there being that I had to be in first class for the Seville-Barcelona train (a five-hour journey, so at least I was comfy for a long time). My hostel not only offered breakfast, but sangria and paella (a Spanish rice dish with seafood) on Friday and Saturday, which happened to coincide with the nights I was staying there!

Royal Palace, Madrid (Personal Photo)
I should mention the beggars. I've seen a couple on the streets, but one woman was on the subway, carrying a young girl in her arms and moaning in Spanish. It's the perfect language in which to wail, “Por favooor, Senoooor...” Later I saw a scrawny man running to people and saying, “Mama, Papi, where are you?” to random strangers. I also saw a man who started playing “The Saints Come Marching In” on a trumpet.



Toledo:
Toledo (Personal Photo)
Rather than doing a second day in Madrid, I opted to do a day-trip to Toledo, a medieval town situated an hour away by bus and known as the city of three religions.

Toledo was stunning. The cobblestone streets were a maze of twisty little passages, all alike, and the whole historic city made me feel like I had been transported into a different era. It was here that I bought and sent my first postcard to my friend Brittany, who had been begging me for one for a while. I also caved and bought some jewelry, a black and gold cross with coordinating earrings. Toledo was definitely a highlight of my trip, and I am glad I went there instead of spending more time in Madrid. I am sure there was much more to see in Madrid, but there was something magical about Toledo.


Sevilla:
I had an insider guide to Sevilla, compliments of Alex, one of the girls I bumped into in Rome. She recommended some excellent sights, such as the Plaza de Espana, as well as a fantastic place to get tapas. It was surprisingly warm, and I paraded around in my t-shirt and laughed at those wearing sweaters and scarves. It was a beautiful city, and I wished I could have stayed longer.

Laura, you’re thinking, I’m more. More juicy details, please.

View from the library, Toledo (Personal Photo)
Fine. I’ll indulge you. I got hit on (I think) by a persistent Spanish guy while I was chilling in the common room of my hostel. He spoke with his mouth completely full of food, so I could barely understand him, and it was absolutely disgusting. He also gave of “creepy vibes,” so I was glad I wasn’t alone in the room with him. His Spanish lesson began normally, with words for good evening and such, but then I’m pretty sure (again, difficult to tell when his mouth was full) he was asking me if I went to the bars or drank coffee. I said no. Then he pointed to himself, then me, and then make walking motions with his fingers and said, “To the bar? Or for coffee?”

At that point I gave a much firmer no, said I had to leave, and retreated to my room. I also said that it was hard to understand him when he was eating. Goodness! Obviously, if I’m travelling alone, that means I’m single and interested, right? 

Plaza de España, Sevilla (Personal Photo)
Except, as it turned out, he was sleeping in the same room. When he spoke to me I gave clipped answers and didn't look a him (partially because he was changing.. right in the middle of the room, even though we had a nice private bathroom). On my way out the door I saw him grab silver clothes from the luggage room. He was also wearing silver facepaint. Then I understood his earlier comment about being an artist—he was a living statue. However, he didn’t bother me again for the rest of my stay.

Satisfied with the amount of drama? Good.
I grabbed chocolate con churros while waiting for a tapas restaurant to open its kitchen. Los Coloniales. Fantastic place—I’d highly recommend it. You have to put your name on a waiting list to get a table, though, and arrive before the kitchen opens at 8:30pm, as it’s incredibly popular. I ordered a Spanish omelet and some pork in a garlic and whiskey sauce, and together it was only 5 euros (plus the cost for the bread basket, which you pay for regardless of whether you eat it or not).

Sevilla (Personal Photo)
On my last day in Sevilla, I did a walking tour with a local. He talked about Sevilla’s more recent history, including its former dictator, Franco (“the little motherf*****”as he called him—apparently it's taboo to talk about him). At the end of the tour I had to powerwalk to my hostel and then to the bus stop. I caught the bus with a minute to spare and made the train, although with less of my safety margin left than I had hoped (but that's why we have safety margins, right?). Then train ride was uneventful save for a constantly screaming baby and a toddler who ran up and down the aisle for most of the ride.

I flew back to Nice the next morning, but not before bumping into a girl named Juli, a fellow Canadian from Ontario. During happy hour we each got a 750ml glass of sangria (2 for 1). Let me tell you, speaking with a fellow Ontarian was refreshing! We had a great time and talked until 2am, when our bladders told us it was time to return to our rooms.

Good times in Spain!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh your experience sounds AMAZING- and I'm kinda giddy about the fact that I made your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have celebrity status. Bath in its warmth, for that's pretty much the only warmth there is in Canada right now, eh?

      Delete